Our Emergency Service
We have a 24/7 emergency service if you need to speak with an advisor quickly. We can present you with solutions that will allow you to regain control of the situation.
Did you know?
Collection agencies have to follow certain rules when it comes to collecting debts. However, since the creditor often pays them on commission, they are much more inclined to use any means possible to collect money for their clients.
Should they overstep, remind them that:
- They can only contact your relatives once if have not yet acquired your address or phone number.
- They can only contact you between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. on Mondays to Saturdays and cannot contact you on Sundays and Holidays.
- They are prohibited from using threats or intimidation tactics.
- The agent speaking to you must identify themselves.
- They cannot charge you more than what you owe to your creditor.
You have rights!
There are certain things you can do in order to protect yourself and exercise control over the situation.
- Verify that the collection agency is licensed in Quebec through the Office de la protection du consommateur.
- Ask them to contact you in writing only. Your demand will only be valid for 3 months, but can be renewed.
- Ask them to provide you with a document containing information such as:
- The creditor’s name and the initial amount owed
- The date the report is made
- The name of the collection agency and their permit number
- Proof of payment (if you have made any)
How to stop contact from collection agencies?
There is one sure way to stop contact:
Contact a licensed insolvency trustee (LIT). Not only will a trustee help you rid yourself of your debts, but the debt solution your LIT recommends may stop any collection actions.
This means no more calls, no more emails, no more stress!
So contact us for an urgent free consultation and take your first step to financial security.
Submit our emergency appointment form and we will contact you as soon as possible.